We're looking for a web designer / graphic designer, familiar with or interested in using free (libre) and open source software tools to produce graphics for the web, to work with our web development team to produce website themes, and to produce the occasional print graphics. The position may be part-time or full-time, depending on your skill set. Site building or web development skills are a considerable bonus, and candidates who also have these skills are more likely to be considered for a full-time position.
Relevant Technical Skills
- Strong familiarity with FLOSS graphics tools (e.g. GIMP, Scribus, Inkscape, ImageMagick, etc.), or interest and willingness to teach yourself these tools
- Basic familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Knowledge of how to design for the web, and how to work with developers to produce standards compliant code
- Understanding of HTML, cross-browser issues, CSS, web standards preferred
- Experience creating themes for PHP-based web applications (e.g. Drupal, WordPress, Moodle, MediaWiki, etc.)
- Post-secondary studies in web design, graphic design or related field preferred, but not required
- Site building and/or web development skills are a considerable bonus, but not a requirement.
- Comfort working in GNU/Linux environment a bonus
- Self-motivation, independence -- small teams, with lots of flexibility and responsibility, little hierarchy or bureaucracy or hand-holding
- Willingness to work on variety of different tasks
- Communication -- can express ideas verbally and in writing
- Problem solving (e.g. troubleshooting cross-browser CSS issues)
- Detail-oriented thoroughness -- pro-active attention to detail
The Ideal Candidate Would...
- Have designed something cool to show off (send a screenshot, or better yet, URL)
- Be familiar finding and working with freely licensed materials (e.g. do you use Creative Commons search filters?)
- Have a passion for FLOSS (what software do you use most?)
- Prefer HTML5 over Flash (have you tried <canvas>?)
- Read interesting books and/or blogs (send us some examples)
- Have an appetite to learn, grow and take on increasing responsibility
- Flexible hours
- Ability to work from home at times
- Access to on-site gym
- Located in downtown Toronto, a few blocks from College Station
We appreciate all applications, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are confidential. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Alleyne is a professional services firm providing services to public and private-sector organizations across the Americas. The firm assists client organizations with Information Technology, Information Management, Knowledge Management, and General Management projects.