Position Title: New Media Specialist 1
(Contract to July 19 2013)
Department : Interactive & Digital Media
Reports To: Manager, Interactive & Digital Media
Salary group 9: $51,233.00 - $63,008.40 + Benefits
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton on the Young subway line
Ontario's Public Broadcaster TVO is looking for a New Media Specialist with Drupal theming skillsets.
Our flagship sites, tvo.org and tvoparents.com are working with a new content management system in Drupal. We need a New Media Specialist with strong design and theming skills to replace a staff member going on maternity leave.
We are a not-for-profit, registered charity, empowering people to be engaged citizens of Ontario and the world through educational media. The ideal candidates see the opportunity to maintain and improve our high profile content-rich websites sites that re-imagine TVO's mandate for an Interactive and Digital age, and really showcase what Drupal can do.
The New Media Specialist will be primarily responsible for creating graphics, theming, and supporting new development on tvoparents.com.
The candidate will report to the Manager, Interactive & Digital Media, and collaborate, with colleagues, in development of applications and content and in: brainstorming content ideas, updating content online, creating interactive components to support the front end user of the site and our backend users (producers).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Draws, scans, builds, performs layout of creative visual content
• Recommends technology and development tools.
• Coordinates compilation of digital elements into interactive pieces
• Configures third party software for online deployment
• Tests new software and techniques
• Brainstorms and builds wireframes, prototypes, and functional specifications
• Has expert working knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite of tools and the Drupal content management framework
• Proofreads and posts video, audio, and/or stills, user generated content, and tests website usability
• Chooses photographic elements for websites
• Designs, optimizes, and tests website user experience on all platforms and for all screens and browsers
• Understands enewsletter design and delivery technologies and rules: Understanding of ECRM element design and delivery
• Code interactive material and create templates that can be used by other people in the organization
• Collaborate with team to develop project plans, add knowledge of new and upcoming technologies which could be used to break new ground
• Experience theming sites
• Knowledge of backend admin themes
• Work with databases: plan and design databases for interactive or dynamic content
• Php and MySQL knowledge
• Create visual communications that support the message and the brand
• Knowledge of cross platform browser compatibility and testing
• Minimum 2 to 4 years of work experience in a web design/support environment, with hands-on experience working specifically for an education website
• College or University graduate (or equivalent experience) in New Media, Computer Science or any related field
• Must have an understanding of site design and usability
• A skill set in web development, design and site management
• Proficiency with PHP, HTML, XML, Adobe Photoshop, and Drupal
• Multi-platform experience
• Understanding of servers and database connectivity an asset
• Working knowledge of online production and publishing processes
• Motivated, with the ability to work unsupervised and in highly collaborative teams
• Demonstrate flexibility with work assignments, work quickly, efficiently, establish priorities, and work effectively under pressure to meet tight and shifting timelines
• Proven self-starter with excellent interpersonal, time management and people management skills
• Strong problem solving, analytical and client service skills
• Excellent written/oral communication skills
• Excellent presentation skills coupled with the ability to articulate concepts to management and internal teams
• Able to clearly document processes and techniques
• Adept at handling constructive criticism and making the required changes.
For additional information, please visit the company’s website at www.tvoparents.com.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and current résumé, through Workopolis by June 25, 2012.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries please.