Last updated by chicagomom on Wed, 2010-03-10 20:05
The best method to get clean URLs on IIS depends on which version of IIS you are using. Here are some version-specific resources.
- Installation Guide | Clean URLS on IIS
If you are running Windows 2000 with IIS 5 or Windows XP with IIS 5.1, you can use Helicon's ISAPI_Rewrite 3 (there's a free "lite" and a pay version) or Micronovae's IIS Mod-Rewrite (the "standard" version works w/IIS5). IIS Aid has an article on configuring the Helicon module. You can find Mod-Rewrite documentation on Micronovae's site.
- On Windows Server 2003/IIS 6.0, you can use Helicon's ISAPI_Rewrite 3 or Micronovae's Mod-Rewrite standard and Pro versions.
- On Windows Server 2003/IIS 6.0, the Ionic Isapi Rewrite Filter is a small, free URL rewriting ISAPI filter.
- For IIS7 Microsoft introduced its own URL Rewrite module (x86/x64) Note: Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2008 & Vista contained some important IIS7 bug fixes (KB954946) that affect how REQUEST_URI works. You can download the patch individually or SP2 from the MS website.
- IIS7 URL Rewrite Home, contains useful explanations and links, including a walkthrough video.
- Using URL Rewrite Module
- IIS 7.0 Url Rewriter gotchas when importing mod_rewrite rules - Mike Volodarsky
- 500.50 (URL rewrite) error when viewing images on IIS 7.0 - explanation and solution here.
Have suggestions for more? Feel free to add yours.