Front-End Web Developer
The Office of University Communication’s mission is to help the University grow and prosper by increasing public awareness and preference for PSU, its role in the community and its brand of higher education. Specifically, University Communications plans and executes an integrated customer-driven marketing communications program, and collaborates with campus constituents in planning and executing effective marketing, communications and public affairs strategies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage enterprise-wide Drupal Content Management System
- Convert graphical comps into Drupal themes and existing Drupal site templates - includes graphics production/optimization, heavy CSS, php, jQuery
- Manage consistent website architectural structure
- Collaborate with the internal staff, content submitters, and upper management to bring existing and newly developed material to multiple interactive properties, including web, social media, and mobile platforms.
- Work closely with IT and outside agencies to develop Drupal CMS templates, integrate backend data with the portal UI and other back-end systems and perform general web enhancements
- Collaborate with key business, marketing and IT team members to review web progress, and priorities for our “Next Generation” web portal and marketing sites
- Search engine optimization
- Manage Google Analytics integration
- Develop tools for web outreach and use of social media marketing through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and emerging online communities for brand development
Required Skills / Experience:
- Expert command of the latest semantic XHTML and the DOM
- Thorough understanding and proven implementation of W3C Web Standards
- Experience generating HTML that renders reliably in email clients
- Familiarity with revision control systems such as Subversion, Git or CVS
- Strong understanding of designing for usability and user experience
- Super-attentive to details for QA and testing of themes
- Ability to perform cross-browser testing, including mobile handheld and tablet devices
- Experience implementing sites with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) techniques and best practices in mind
- Familiar with the Adobe Creative Suite line of applications
- Ability to work in a small, dynamic team on multiple, simultaneous projects
- Proven ability to maintain strong relationships with IT departments
- Superior written and verbal communication
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong tendency to write high quality, well-documented code
- Self-starter who can work independently without a lot of supervision
- Bachelors Degree, preferably in Computer Science / Engineering
- Create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences.
- Function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting with a willingness to change for continual improvement
- Adhere to all of PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct
- Experience creating custom Drupal themes from scratch
- Experience defining Drupal content types and working with Drupal views
- General Drupal theme setup/config: regions, working with .tpl files and their naming conventions; installing/configuring contrib. modules (Views, Panels, etc)
- Customize nodes and/or pages using pre-process functions or straight .tpl files (including menu, breadcrumb, user profile, tweaks for various content-types, etc)
- Involvement in and contributions to the Drupal community
- Understanding of consumer user experiences and interface design preferred
- Familiarity with wireframe design
- Experience with third party APIs such as Google Maps, Facebook, Twitter
- Experience working with HTML5/video
- Mobile development is a plus
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be between $52,000 - $56,100 dependent upon qualifications and experience with an excellent benefits package including 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon University System schools.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter that addresses required qualifications using examples where possible; resume; and the names and contact information of at least three references.
Electronic submission of applications and correspondence is strongly preferred.
Materials may be submitted to email@example.com noting “Web Developer Search” in the subject line or by mail to:
Web Developer Search Committee
Office of University Communications
Portland State University
PO Box 751-UCOMM
Portland, OR 97202
Review of applications will begin two weeks after posting and the position will remain open until filled.
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.