Altarum Institute, a non-profit health systems research consulting organization, is seeking a creative and passionate Web Developer for our Digital Communications Services group in Washington, DC. The Web Developer will report to the Director of Digital Communications Services, and will primarily focus on the end-to-end design and development of both large- and small-scale, open source applications for a diverse portfolio of clients, including federal agencies with a health related mission. The Web Developer will have the opportunity to work the majority of time from home, but candidates should be local to the Washington, DC area, and able to visit the office on a regular basis.
You should be able to point to a good number of Drupal sites that you’ve developed, or made critical contributions to. You’re a highly skilled developer/programmer, with a strong understanding of design principles, information architecture, interface design patterns, usability best practices, environmental implementation, application documentation, and 508 compliance. You thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires managing multiple concurrent projects, while maintaining extreme attention to detail on each project. You are passionate about coding, development and design, and quality assurance. And perhaps most importantly, you’re comfortable, happy, and can thrive in a team environment, yet are self-guided. If you’re a PHP/MySQL programmer with experience in Drupal development who wants to join a team dedicated to creating contemporary and beautiful Drupal web sites, this job is for you.
Altarum integrates independent research and client-centered consulting to create comprehensive, systems-based solutions that improve health. With the rigor of the finest research institution, consulting skills honed over more than six decades, and an abiding commitment to the public interest, Altarum Institute enables better care and better health for all people.
• Guide clients through site development and documentation processes, such as:
needs assessment, storyboarding, architecture/site mapping, and defining functional requirements.
• Implement creative, reliable solutions based on project specifications and business requirements.
• Implement custom Drupal modules, and extend existing modules in order to fit specific client site.
• Manage and maintain multiple Drupal sites concurrently, each with different structures and requirements.
• Create, manage, and administer multiple MySQL databases.
• Deliver compelling UI designs/layouts that adhere to client technical specifications & branding, W3C usability standards, and 508-compliance requirements.
• College degree, with 4+ years’ experience in the development of open source, CMS-driven applications.
• Very strong PHP/MySQL experience and Drupal development/programming experience.
• Very strong experience in server-level administration of PHP/MySQL, CMS-driven sites
• Experience in managing a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) web server using SSH/PuTTY as well as various web-based applications.
Should a government granted security clearance be required for your position now or in the future, said clearance is a precondition for continued employment, and a background check including credit and criminal records will be conducted.
Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. We serve the public good, and enable others to do the same. We lead and we continuously learn, innovate and solve problems in our field. We promote the well-being of our employees and encourage a meaningful work-life balance.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V