Open til filled: still available as of 3/5/2013
The College of Arts & Sciences has an exciting opportunity for a Web Developer with Drupal, PHP, and MYSQL development experience. The Web Developer will work within the College’s Drupal-based Department Web Framework to develop and extend department web sites. The Web Developer will design, create, test, maintain, and modify multiple web sites and multimedia materials. The Web Developer will be required to serve and work with individuals from all units in the College. The Web Developer will collaborate with other technical and communications staff in the College to produce high quality, consistent, standards compliant web sites that reflect the world-class research, teaching, and intellectual inquiry taking place in the College of Arts & Sciences.
• Design and develop web applications and modules that respond to common needs and result in shared solutions.
• Test and debug new and existing web features, services, and pages across browsers, including some mobile.
• Assist with design for new web page layouts and components.
• Work with units’ technical and/or administrative staff in moving existing applications and content to our coordinated operating environment.
• Perform server-side and client-side web programming using various technologies.
• Coordinate decisions regarding server maintenance.
• Build backend database structures when appropriate.
• Verify that programs and sites comply with current operational procedures and UW policies.
• Consult with and provide technical assistance and training to users.
• Write system design specifications, process flow descriptions, user interface layouts, and technical specifications.
• Work collaboratively with unit staff to revise user interface and program features based on user feedback.
• Evaluate new hardware and software to improve capability of existing programs/applications.
• Provide routine website upgrades and maintenance as assigned
• Maintain and modify existing programs/applications and related operations.
• Maintain thorough documentation of all programs and procedures.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field, and four years of progressively responsible web development and/or lead programmer experience in an IT environment; OR, six years of progressively responsible web development and/or lead programmer experience in an IT environment
• Development experience with the Drupal CMS; ability to make template updates, build modules, and perform UI customizations.
• Experience with Git, SVN, Mercurial, or another version control system
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; exceptional decision-making skills.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including team ethic and relationship building.
• Ability to deliver quality systems and work under constant deadline pressures.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Demonstrated track record of innovative solutions deploying and supporting IT initiatives.
• A keen interest in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and/or liberal education.
• Experience with RESTful web services, JSON and/or Amazon Web Services
Open until filled