Very important topics have been discussed in the high performance group in the past and i would like to request all members to help make a list of important factors, which can offer performance boost for Drupal website. I will list a few i know work very nicely. Please do add your suggestions.
- Use BOOST module to serve static content to users
- Cache router can also be used for caching.
- If you are on dedicated hosting, use LiteSpeed Webserver. Even there are some companies offering LiteSpeed hosting in shared environment.
- If you have really high traffic and static content, use CDN. (I haven't tried it yet)
- Use BLOCK CACHE module (in Drupal 5), while its already in Drupal 6.
- Use different dedicated servers for Database and content delivery (if your website project makes enough money to have such multi server setup).
- If you own a dedicated server, go for SCSI or SSD (its more expensive, but offers speed boost), instead of simple drives. Even it will be better to use two disks under RAID 0.
- Use Apache Solr (i am not sure, if it will work with LiteSpeed web server)
I welcome other members and experts to share their ideas and tips on increasing performance.