Richland Library invites applications for the new position of Manager of Marketing and Digital Strategy!
Do you love thinking about growing a business? Do you thrive at finding new ways of reaching customers and putting your ideas into action quickly? Are you inspired by the prospect of working for an organization that exists to help people learn, create and share?
If you believe you are an outstanding candidate for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply!
Basic information about the job: Location, salary, hours
- Where: Marketing and Digital Strategy Dept.** Main Library; 1431 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29201 (VAC 2180-6)
- Salary: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience (This position is classified at the pay level equivalent to Librarian VI)
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends as needed by the job
** Richland Library may change location and schedule of any library job.
All Richland Library employees are committed to:
- Effectively demonstrating characteristics of being energetic, outgoing, and strongly customer-service oriented, including the application of Richland Library’s customer engagement standards.
- Successfully ascertaining individualized needs and/or requirements for each customer.
- Engaging, encouraging, and assisting diverse customers in all areas of the Library in a welcoming, professional, and respectful manner.
General statement of Duties
Reporting to the Director of Literacy and Learning, this position provides visionary marketing strategy and leadership; ensures the library’s Strategic Plan, Brand Promises, and Engagement Standards are at the heart of every effort; and grows the business of the library by finding new ways of reaching new customers and introducing loyal customers to new services. Ensures customers are well-apprised of materials, events, services and programs, and able to easily find what they are looking for across a multitude of channels. Collaborates closely with Communications Relations Coordinator and Technology Manager. Serves as an effective ally of the Executive Director, the Director of Literacy and Learning, and the Executive Leadership Team. And positions Richland Library as a continuing preeminent resource in the Midlands and as a leader in the library industry.
Essential functions of this great career opportunity include:
- Leading a strong team of creative, dedicated employees in creating, developing, implementing and measuring a marketing and digital plan.
- Ensuring the customer experience supports the library’s Strategic Plan, utilizing traditional media, online marketing, social media and other tools.
- Serving as manager and supervisor over Marketing, Branding, and Digital Strategy Department positions including Marketing Coordinator; Communications Coordinator; Art Director; Online Applications Developer; Front-end Web Developer; Senior Graphic Designer; Multimedia Designer; and Marketing Assistant.
- Participating as a member of the Management Team; contributing to long-range strategic planning.
- Leading the development of digital-first marketing strategy for customer acquisition and retention campaigns, increased brand awareness and customer loyalty.
- Shaping, defining and growing a department comprised of marketing, web, user experience, web content and creative component members who design the customer experience through digital touch points and traditional marketing collateral.
- Ensuring all marketing, web and brand campaigns and projects are delivered on time and budget and support library strategic goals and objectives.
- Overseeing research on and possible implementation for new developments in technology and metrics.
- Developing strategic and detailed marketing plans and overseeing implementation and optimization; developing, implementing and measuring strategies for customer relationship management.
- Serving as the library’s brand expert and advocate for consistency, compliance and appropriate execution.
- Creating and maintaining facile delivery channels to enable library locations and staff to deploy creatively.
- Carrying out responsibilities for all aspects of the digital customer experience within the Library’s websites, online catalog, intranet and external web applications.
- Establishing, setting parameters for, and maintaining the library’s Social Media Team, to be directed by a Content Strategist, advising on inbound social marketing strategies, campaign integration and performance goals, and social media monitoring.
- Directing a team to create consistent and timely management of website developments and updates, including acting as gatekeeper for digital needs.
- Developing new tools and services on the website, by incorporating rigorous and thorough testing channels, staffed both by library staff members and by core groups of beta customers.
- Developing strategy for integrating/branding digital third-party vendors.
- Strategically responding to rapid growth in the availability of online services, web presence, and social media, and supporting library customers’ needs through access to the library’s website.
- Maintaining responsibility for various digital functions such as eResources, Room Reserve system, and signage/way finding; in addition to website, website content, website user experience, catalog integration, and the library’s social media presence.
- Maintaining responsibility for various functions related to marketing, including: research and analysis; segmentation; customer relationship management systems; and online and print publications.
- Performing budgeting duties related to the position and department.
- Attending meetings and conferences as required; serving on committees and task forces as appropriate.
Qualified candidates will meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s from an accredited school in relevant area of study such as marketing, interactive web design, information design, information technology, or others. Master’s in relevant area desirable.
- 7 or more years of professional experience, including managerial experience.
- Experience in each of the following specific areas: developing customer retention and acquisition strategies via traditional and online marketing approaches; developing/optimizing marketing impact of a CRM to utilize email and marketing automation platforms; defining/managing media success metrics; managing graphic design resources; and managing digital and website design, including content management systems and reporting. Desirable: Drupal experience.
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Ability to perform the functions of the job.
Physical requirements: This is an active position and requires the ability to continually talk, hear, and see. It also requires mobility, including the ability to move about easily to various locations within the libraries, the community and beyond.
Why the Richland Library?
- At Richland Library, we connect customers of all ages and backgrounds with experiences that inform, inspire, and entertain. Being present in the moment of curiosity, and helping create the spark of connection, make working in a library one of the most interesting and satisfying jobs in the world.
- The Richland Library is an award-winning, forward-thinking public library system because of our exceptional, diverse staff, who are passionate about serving our community. Be a part of our team and change the way our customers work, play, create, and communicate.
- The Richland Library is strongly supported and highly valued by its community and leaders.
- We are guided by our shared Vision: “to improve the quality of life for everyone who interacts with Richland Library”; and by strategic objectives including advancing our community and ensuring its well-being by providing access to resources and services that meet vital needs.
APPLY IMMEDIATELY. No deadline is currently established for this Vacancy. Applications are being accepted now. When a specific deadline is determined, it will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library's website.