From June 15-17 at Drupal Developer Days Barcelona 2012 there will be both a session and a sprint related to mapping and Drupal.
Sprint: Improve Mapping in Drupal 7
I have proposed several topics:
- Server-side geo clustering in drupal 7
- Documenting best practices for well established modules: Geofield, OpenLayers, ...
- Views GeoJSON, see http://drupal.org/node/1471026
- OpenLayers is not the best fit for all, what about Leaflet and Mapping?
Depending on what other sprint attendees want to work on, I would like to focus on the high-level view of mapping in Drupal. Some thoughts:
There exist a number of recent presentations regarding mapping including zzolo's, brandonian's, phayes' and levelos'. By discussing those and the information provided in the Mapping with Drupal book we could create some diagrams that explain how the multitude of modules available correlate and work together.
The OpenLayers Locator feature module is already a great starting point for diving into Drupal mapping that adds to the documentation effort with diagrams that I explained beforehand.
Server-side geo clustering in Drupal 7
Regarding my plans for Server-side geo clustering in Drupal 7, I would like to get started by discussing valid integration points of the server-side clustering approach with geofield and optionally views_geojson. As great views experts will be around, attending the Views in Core Sprint, I'm looking forward getting some insights to the best way to achieve such transparent integration of the server-side clustering feature. I have already talked to dawehner (dereine) and fago and the ideas so far are
- clustering logic should be pluggable and easy to turn on/off
- clustering logic should integrate well/transparently with geofield and views_geojson
- write light-weight integrations that rely on a clustering library
- geofield integration example:
views_plugin_style_geofield_cluster extends geofield_map_plugin_style_map
- views_geosjon integration example:
views_plugin_style_geojson_cluster extends views_plugin_style_geojson
- don't require external dependencies, by default it should work with the default database
- optionally a database clustering strategy can be integrated
Session: Mapping with Drupal
In this session I will introduce you to the most important concepts and modules of mapping in Drupal 7.
Let's use this thread to find out who will be attending the sprint, of course physical attendance is preferred, but most of the highly involved mapping guys unfortunately can't make it to Barcelone, as they have told me during the recent Drupal Mapping Office hours. That being said, we will be open to remote collaboration in #drupal-geo.
Please, let me hear your thoughts, very much looking forward to collaborating :)