I've been wondering about this question recently, and thought it might be nice to just ask, and see what types of responses come in.
If you're the type of dude who calls out other dudes when they say sexist things, who supports women when they feel attacked/harrassed because of their gender in a geek setting, and/or who actively encourages women to get into technology, I'd love to know what was the thing that opened your eyes to the problem and take action?
- A particularly insightful/well-written blog post by someone you respect talking about the problem? (and if so, link? :))
- A presentation at a tech conference on the topic? (and if so, link? :))
- Witnessing a woman friend/colleague get treated like crap and making a vow to make sure that didn't happen to anyone else?
- Getting called out by another person for saying something sexist yourself, an experience from which you learned?
- Becoming the parent of a daughter?
- Something else entirely?
I'd love to know.