According to a survey of over 1,000 Drupal users, the most requested feature for Drupal.org is a recommendation system for the modules section. With the exponential proliferation of Drupal modules it's certainly easy to imagine why.
Because the discussion about this subject has been splintered into so many places, it was suggested (see here and here) to create a thread within the D.O. Redesign group in order to centralize the brainstorming, mockups, proposals, etc for this initiative.
What this thread is intended for (comments from dww):
- Meta-discussion on the proposals: which ones are clearly a good idea now, which ones need more thought, which ones aren't going to work at all, etc.
- Volunteers to work on the "low hanging fruit" -- the proposals that we can right now agree would be worth doing, but which won't take a huge amount of code to accomplish.
- Further discussion on the specific proposals that need to be fine-tuned or otherwise better thought-out. I consider this particular proposal for end-user ratings and reviews (issue #50605) in this category. There are a lot of potential problems this will create, so we need to have good answers for those if we want to continue exploring this.
Here's an initial list of all known efforts in this space:
- #32124: Enable download statistics
- #187019: Checkout statistics from CVS
- #50605: Project.module: Add user ratings for projects
- #52475: browse projects by # of downloads
- #66013: Create project sorting method using data from update.module
- #77976: Project quality indicator: rating system [duplicate with #50605 -- but still some potentially useful ideas]
- #79550: Automate gathering of quality metrics
- #99466: add 'orphaned' module category?
- #63491: Drupal Version-Module Support Matrix
- #165380: Make usage statistics (from update_status) visible
- #192410: Deploy module recommendations based on content in page, and recommend modules on module project pages (aka "Pivots")
- #203313: Add a way for maintainers to indicate multiple supported branches
- http://groups.drupal.org/node/3314 drewish's original SoC proposal about project quality metrics
- http://groups.drupal.org/node/5022 Drupal Project Metrics (wiki during Drewish's SoC work)
- http://groups.drupal.org/node/6186 Project node UI redesign
There are probably others scattered around, but this is at least a start... ;)
Before posting please consider reviewing some of the links included above, if you haven't already. There has already been lots of discussion and some activity for this topic, the goal now is to reach a point of broader consensus and action.