The Community and Support section on drupal.org needs some love (http://drupal.org/community)
Here's some ideas to improve the C&S section. Thoughts and suggestions welcome here and on the issues themselves... though it maybe be more cohesive to discuss here first!
- Remove 'Recent activity'... it's often full of people having problems and frustrations which isn't welcoming!
- Imagery or smiley photos from drupal events etc. A community is people! or a world map of Drupal meetups or events (pie in the sky!)
- Focus on what the community can do for you, and you can do for the community (as Leisa says, a list of channels isn't super helpful if you don't know where to start)
- Put the Community Spotlight in the spotlight! (and brainstorm ways to give this section more momentum...Issue: http://drupal.org/node/928962)
- Onboard contributors with the Getting Involved page by focusing their skills as a way they can help, rather than a list of jobs (issue started here, no one has commented....: http://drupal.org/node/1010262#comment-4854312)
Right now the barrier to entry is so high, most people don't get very far.
- Also, adding Support (linked to the /support page) is probably a good idea (issue: http://drupal.org/node/1242094)
- Improve "member directory" linked from Community & Support page (issue: http://drupal.org/node/1078214)
- clean up Getting Involved guide content (Issue: http://drupal.org/node/1237414)
... what else are we missing?
PS. Leisa Reichelt spoke about the problems with the Community and Support page, and blogged about it, following her presentation at DrupalCon London. Well worth a read!