Postponed Until Further Notice...
Due to the severe weather warnings still in effect as Sandy approaches, this meetup has been postponed until further notice. A new event will be posted when a date has been set. Stay tuned!
Rescheduled for October 29
Due to an unforeseen scheduling conflict, the meetup has been rescheduled for October 29, 2012, from 6:30pm to 9pm.
EMPAC would be honored to host a Drupal user group meetup on
October 30, 2012 October 29, 2012 from 6:30pm to 9pm. All are welcome to attend, regardless of their experience with Drupal!
Location: Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC), Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 8th Street, Troy NY
Venue: Studio Beta, 7th Floor. We will have a projector (with adapters), Wifi and power for all. Kindly RSVP so we can be sure to accommodate everyone!
Directions: We provide driving directions on our site. Parking can be found in the garage on the north side of College Ave - the east (campus) entrance is a short walk from there.
Once you get there: You want to be at the east (campus) entrance, not the west (8th street). As the meeting is hosted after-hours and there is another event in the lobby, the main doors will be locked. Instead, just follow the signs to the entrance on the far left, and one of us will be there to let you in. You'll be right in front of Studio Beta. (If you're stuck outside and no one is around, call or shoot me a text at +1 518 929 8972. We'll all be headed to Studio Beta at 6:30pm sharp to get things started.)
- Introductions/General Discussion
- 5-minute lightning talks
- 20-minute presentations
- Free-for-all Mentoring and Hacking until 9pm
Lightning Talks (5min):
- Using Varnish to Make Your Sites Abnormally Fast (davidwatson) - A quick overview of the Varnish HTTP Accelerator and how to use it to consistently get single-digit response times. We will be looking over an example configuration, and how to avoid common gotchas.
- Drupal@EMPAC (davidwatson, shannon johnson, madelineheller, witkoj2) - An overview of how the EMPAC site evolved from its humble beginnings in static HTML to leveraging Drupal as a platform for a responsive, high-availability CMS. Includes highlights of the (sometimes painful, but always helpful) lessons we've learned along the way.
- Intro to Views and Contextual Filters (patrickavella) - An introduction to the Views module, used to create custom formatted lists of content, and the use of contextual filters to tailor those views according to any number of different variables.
If you have topics you'd like to hear about, or would like to present a topic, by all means let us know. Looking forward to seeing you there!