Modeled after the Drupal 7 Release Parties we had in January here in Los Angeles and around the world, we're celebrating the release of Varnish Cache 3, the first major release since version 2.0 was released in October 2008.
Varnish is a threaded HTTP accelerator and reverse proxy that's used extensively by high performance, enterprise Drupal sites. It is part of the Project Mercury community project and is also included with Pantheon and Acquia's Dev Cloud and Managed Cloud offerings.
At the party will be FREE coupon codes good for 3 months of free hosting with Acquia Dev Cloud. Beta codes for Pantheon will be raffled off at the Drupal meetup and job fair on June 21st, also at Droplabs.
What to bring
Big Art Labs, where Droplabs is located, is having a barbeque and party at the same time right outside our doors, and are featuring two unique art installations:
- The Dragon Oven is is a giant metal pizza oven shaped as a dragon. They'll have it onsite - so please bring pizza fixings: dough, sauce, cheese or any toppings you enjoy and we'll have fresh fired pizza. We'll set it up near the firepit.
- The Engine is an incredible 2000lb transportable steel sculpture that houses a rotating 17' screen and features a high-end audio/visual system. It's currently set up in SmashLabs (one our neighbors at Big Art Labs) on the main stage and we're planning on showing some cool animation shorts. Please bring your own if you'd like to screen them.
All of Big Art Labs is welcome at Droplabs and vice versa. We follow the rules and guidelines we inherit from Big Art Labs and we ask that the Varnish 3 Release Party attendees be respectful of our neighbors, bring something to share to throw on the grill and get ready to make your websites fly.
Just bring your laptop, your business cards or whatever else you need. We share a large parking lot with Big Art Labs and there's plenty of free parking. After you pull into the parking lot, park to the left of the entrance and follow the signs to Droplabs.
Please note that our guest wireless network is limited to 1Mb per client, so bring your MiFi router or a phone you can tether with if for some reason you need a lot of bandwidth. Access to our high-speed network is included with a Droplabs membership.
Key Features in Varnish 3
- Compression support including ESI
- Plugin support in Varnish with VMODs
- Much improved tools and performance
- Enhanced ESI support including stiching together compressed ESI fragments.
- Saint and Grace mode.
- DNS, Random, Hashing and Client IP based Directors.
- Critbit scalable hashing method.
- A much improved VCL.
- Preliminary support for Streaming support, both on miss and on pass.
- Preliminary support for Persistent Storage with LRU.
- Better default values for parameters.
- Varnishncsa now has custom log format support.
- Varnishlog, varnishncsa and varnishhist can now filter out records that match multiple expressions.
To learn more, download the Varnish Cache 3.0 Factsheet from the Varnish Software website..
651 Clover St.
Los Angeles, CA 90031
Droplabs is in Mission Junction neighborhood of Los Angeles at Big Art Labs, just 1 mile down Main St. from Philippes (the first-ever venue for LA Drupal meetups!) and Union Station. We're one block west of The Brewery, the largest live-and-work artists' colony in the world.
Droplabs is a collaborative Drupal event and coworking space in Downtown Los Angeles. Created in 2011 by LA Drupal members for the LA Drupal community, we are focused on serving the greater LA Drupal community, enriching the Drupal skills and lives of its members, and bringing joy to our Drupal practice.
We've been open to the public since May, 2011, and the use of our equipment and facilities, including conference room, tables and chairs, is free until our official launch. See http://groups.drupal.org/node/145934 for more details about our open beta period and http://droplabs.net/prices for our list of free amenities and member perks, including our high-speed WiFi, an espresso machine, printer and scanner services, and more.
Droplabs is the host of the monthly Downtown LA Drupal meetups, LA Drupal's weekly Pro Drupal 7 Development book study group and special events including the Varnish 3 Release Party and LA Drupal's first-ever Drupal job fair. To learn more about Droplabs, follow @Droplabs on Twitter, sign up at Meetup.com/Droplabs or like DroplabsLA on Facebook!
About LA Drupal
LA Drupal is one of the world's largest regional Drupal user groups and is Southern California's largest hub for all things Drupal. In addition to being home to 4 regularly scheduled meetups a month and occasional trainings and social gatherings, LA Drupal is the producer of the annual DrupalCamp LA and Drupal Design Camp LA conferences.
Attending LA Drupal events is one of the best ways to meet and talk with other Drupaleros and we encourage you to attend meetings and special events regularly. Whether it's to find solutions to problems you've been having, sharing something you've learned or just meeting interesting like-minded people, the LA Drupal events are an essential resource for Drupal professionals and hobbyists alike.