October Santa Cruz Drupal User Group Meeting - Nextspace 6pm to 9pm (Tuesday October 1, 2013)

Kristen Pol's picture
Start: 
2013-10-01 19:00 - 21:00 America/Los_Angeles

The October SCDUG will be Tuesday October 1st from 6pm to 9pm at Nextspace. Note the earlier time for those who can come early. If you can't come early, come whenever you can.

We will do a D8 (core and/or contrib) sprint this time. You do not need to know how to code to sprint. You can test patches and try out D8 and find/report bugs :)

Paul suggested that some of us could port small contrib modules from D7 to D8. We could work on some of the Examples modules for this or whatever your favorite small D7 module is that you want to port.

Hook 42 will provide dinner for the group... maybe just pizza and drinks since that will be easy/fast. If anyone can't eat pizza, let me know and I'll make sure there is an alternative. Or, if someone has a suggestion that is easy/fast/healthier, let me know.

Leave a comment if you are coming (I'll need a head count for dinner). If anyone doesn't want to sprint, you can still come and provide support and work on your own stuff :)

We can talk about Backdrop in November.

==

Old message:

Given the recent fork of Drupal, I'm wondering if we want to invite Nathan and Jen to Santa Cruz to discuss Backdrop. Not sure they are available, but I could check. If they aren't available, we still probably want to talk about Backdrop as this is an important discussion to have.

Thoughts?

If there are other topics anyone wants to discuss or if anyone wants to present, leave a comment :)

Thanks!

Comments

Yes, let's do this.

juliavdw's picture

Yes, let's do this.

Need a host

Kristen Pol's picture

Hi everyone,

Looks like Dan won't be able to host us in October. Anyone know of another Nextspace member who might be able to? Or, better yet, let's hope Darren is feeling awesome and can come :)

Thanks!

Reschedule?

Kristen Pol's picture

Let's also consider rescheduling this meeting as an option.

Perhaps everyone can shout out days they can NOT make between October 2nd and October 11th so we can take those into consideration.

October 8th

Kristen Pol's picture

Ok... Jen could come on Tuesday October 8th (but not on the 1st) to chat about Backdrop.

Does that work for everyone?

I will be out of town Oct

pferlito's picture

I will be out of town Oct 7-9.

Ferlito/van der Wyk -- Web design and development
pfvdw.com

Other dates

Kristen Pol's picture

Hi Paul,

I think you'd like to attend this one, yes? What other days work for you between the 2nd and 11th?

Hi Kristen, yes I'd like to

pferlito's picture

Hi Kristen, yes I'd like to attend. I can make any weekday except oct 7-9 when I am out of town.

Ferlito/van der Wyk -- Web design and development
pfvdw.com

works for me

juliavdw's picture

works for me

I'm baaaack

oddencreative's picture

I will be there for the next meetup lest a major set back.

Woohoo!!!!

Kristen Pol's picture

So awesome :)

If we want to shift the date, let us know what days work for you between the 2nd and 11th and we'll figure something out. Jen will be arriving back from Prague on the 1st so that's not a good day.

If you want to stick with the 1st, though, we can do that and maybe talk about Backdrop in the November meeting.

Booking room

Kristen Pol's picture

Realizing that the room would need to be available as well... so that would be the biggest scheduling concern besides your availability.

Normally booked

murias's picture

The main room we meet in at nextSpace is usually booked the second tuesday of the month. We ran into this issue once before.

I am eager to hear about

darrylri's picture

I am eager to hear about Jen's take on Backdrop. 10/8 is fine with me if that's what works.

you are correct

oddencreative's picture

The 8th is booked. Saturday is open, otherwise it will be difficult to fit into a very busy room schedule.

If Darren can host on

dandolino's picture

If Darren can host on Tuesday, Oct 1, that is already booked...

Let's stick with the 1st and talk about Backdrop later

Kristen Pol's picture

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

Let's plan on doing our regularly scheduled time as moving it is complex :)

We'll talk about whatever. Actually, we were considering doing a Sprint this time. This might actually be interesting to do a D8 sprint to kick the tires and give us more understanding about D8.

Thoughts?

If we do a Sprint, then maybe we can meet a bit earlier?

Darren - is the room open a bit earlier? If so, are you available a bit earlier? :)

Dinner

Kristen Pol's picture

If we do a sprint and can meet earlier, then Hook 42 could sponsor some dinner/drinks.

I will confirm

oddencreative's picture

I think I can, but will let you know

Booked

oddencreative's picture

I have booked the room from 6pm.

Thanks!

Kristen Pol's picture

Thanks :)

Everyone - give a shout out if we want to sprint :)

I want to sprint! Maybe we

pferlito's picture

I want to sprint! Maybe we can take a small d7 module and start converting to d8?

Ferlito/van der Wyk -- Web design and development
pfvdw.com

Great idea!

Kristen Pol's picture

I can offer Featured Content as a candidate :) But maybe we want something even smaller?

I like the idea... maybe the coders can find a small module that they like and would like to use in D8 and that hasn't been converted yet and use Coder to help convert.

The themers can help with testing, bug finding, etc.

So... let's identify some small modules that might be good candidates :)

I sent out a tweet and cc'ed Dave Reid and Angie Byron for suggestions:

https://twitter.com/kristen_pol/status/379346795945422848

Examples module

Kristen Pol's picture

Angie suggested the Examples project since there are lots of small modules in that. That is a great idea. A couple people have starting porting so we could coordinate with them:

https://twitter.com/Kerasai/status/379611471748952064

There is a meta issue for this:

https://drupal.org/node/1880976

Head count?

Kristen Pol's picture

I can get a pizza and drinks... let me know if you are coming so I can figure out how much we need.

I will be there. I need to

juliavdw's picture

I will be there. I need to avoid gluten and dairy though, so no pizza for me. See you tonight!

Right

Kristen Pol's picture

Do you think the pizza place next to Trader Joes would have anything that you can eat?

http://www.woodstockscruz.com/menu.html

I'm assuming not. I can swing by TJs and get you something... let me know what you can eat from there.

Woodstocks

oddencreative's picture

Woodstocks has gluten free and a cheese-less can be ordered. Dominos also has gluten free pizza.

Oh...

oddencreative's picture

... And I will be there tonight.

Ah!

Kristen Pol's picture

Good to know :)

I'm not really supposed to eat pizza either (because cheese = not good for my cholesterol) but I could get the cheese-less + gluten-free option so we can see what it's like ;)

Or, I can do what I did before when we were debugging the i18n book and take orders for Planet Fresh and go down and get the stuff from there.

Preferences?

I'll plan on being downtown around 5:30.

I've also heard woodstocks

juliavdw's picture

I've also heard woodstocks has a gluten free crust they use and will leave off the cheese. Maybe with meat and vegetables of some sort on top? Sounds interesting. If people prefer tacos that works for me too. Let me know if you want me to come early with you and help get all this together!

Let's try it!

Kristen Pol's picture

I think it sounds interesting too :) Let's try it. I'll plan on being at Woodstock's around 5:30 if you want to come early and you can pick out the toppings ;)

I'll make sure there is a vegetarian option too... so far we don't have too many RSVPs so I think 3 pizzas will be plenty: maybe 1 pepperoni, 1 veggie, and 1 gluten+cheese free with whatever we want.

See you at 5:30 :)

juliavdw's picture

See you at 5:30 :)

See you at 5:30 :)

juliavdw's picture

See you at 5:30 :)

Will miss tonight

happysnowmantech's picture

I have a conflict tonight and will miss the meeting. Have fun sprinting!

I'm sorry I can't make it

dandolino's picture

I'm sorry I can't make it tonight. See ya soon. Dan

I can't either

maryedith's picture

I broke my arm over the weekend. Fell from my bike right onto the point of my elbow. Had surgery to pin it together. I am still laying low and keeping it elevated. Fortunately it's my left so I can type one-handed.
Darn! I've missed a few meetings so was looking forward to this one.
Mary Edith

Ouch!

Kristen Pol's picture

Sorry to hear that :( Get better fast!

Sorry to hear that ME. We'll

pferlito's picture

Sorry to hear that ME. We'll miss you.

Ferlito/van der Wyk -- Web design and development
pfvdw.com

SF Bay Area

Group categories

Resources

user group

Group events

Add to calendar

Group notifications

This group offers an RSS feed. Or subscribe to these personalized, sitewide feeds:

Hot content this week