Major announcement! The 10th annual Google Summer of Code application period kicked off Monday, February 3rd (GSoC 2014 announcement from Google).
Google Summer of Code (GSoC) - an annual contest for university students organized by Google with projects managed by open source organization mentors such as us (Drupal!). Are you or any colleagues available to be a mentor and/or provide a project idea? Please share project ideas even if you're not available to be a mentor. Did you know each accepted organization sends two of the top mentors to Mountain View, California on an all expense paid trip to visit GooglePlex for the "Mentor Summit"? This year will be special as it is the GSoC 10 Year Reunion Mentor Summit inviting all alumni.
Current need is adding project ideas into the 2014 GSoC Drupal Idea Wiki to finalize Drupal's GSoC 2014 Application. The 2014 deadline to submit project ideas to our core Drupal/GSoC group for review is Wednesday, February 12th at 23:00 UTC. Deadline's only requirement is an organized idea documented in wiki. Our goal is to submit an application with at least 30 quality ideas. If Drupal is accepted, another timeline will be setup to define the project scope (see 2014 GSoC schedule for details).
Links about GSoC:
- Google Summer of Code Official Website
- Drupal's GSoC 2014 Project Idea Wiki
- Drupal's GSoC Collaboration Group (important to note that each GSoC year had it's own group on gdo, but starting this year please join our new group moving forward for all GSoC years)
- Mon Feb 03 - Application period starts
- Fri Feb 14 - Application period ends
- Mon Feb 24 - Accepted organizations announced
- Mon Mar 10 - Student application period opens
- Mon Apr 21 - Accepted student proposals announced
- Mon May 19 - Students begin coding
- Mon Jun 23 - Midterm
- Mon Aug 18 - Firm 'pencils down' date
- Mon Oct 25-26 - Mentor Summit at Google
How can I help? Create Project Ideas!
- Anyone with a drupal.org account is allowed to add ideas (student, mentor, outsider, whoever)
- Submit project ideas @ Drupal's GSoC 2014 Idea Wiki
- Help add at least 30 project ideas
- The goal is focusing on Drupal 8 and as of today, many popular modules have not started ports to Drupal 8 (login_destination, flag, seo_checklist, faq, securepages, boost, getid3(), linkchecker, mailchimp, xmlsitemap, menu_block, lightbox2, poormanscron, node_clone, diff, site_verify)
- Example project idea: Port Quiz Module into Drupal 8
- Projects from previous Drupal GSoC: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Example of KDE whom is accepted into GSoC yearly @ http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2014/Ideas and http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas
 "GSoC 2014 announcement from Google" http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2014/02/mentoring-organization-app...
 "Google Summer of Code (GSoC) @Melange" http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
 "GSoC 10 Year Reunion Mentor Summit" http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2013/10/google-code-in-2013-and-go...
 "2014 GSoC Drupal Idea Wiki" https://groups.drupal.org/node/404778
 "Drupal's GSoC 2014 Application" https://groups.drupal.org/node/404768
 "2014 GSoC schedule" https://groups.drupal.org/node/404758
 "Google Summer of Code Official Website" http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
 "Drupal's GSoC Collaboration Group" https://groups.drupal.org/google-summer-code
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2012" http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2012/drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2011" http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2011/drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2010" http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2010/drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2009" http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2009/drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2008" https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/2008/?csw=1#drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2007" https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/2007/?csw=1#drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2006" https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/2006/?csw=1#drupal
 "Previous Drupal GSoC 2005" https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/2005/?csw=1#drupal
 "Contact GSoC Drupal Admin Slashsrm" https://drupal.org/user/744628
 "Contact GSoC Drupal Admin Varunity" https://drupal.org/user/273530