Mentor Meeting - Saturday, 6 February 2016 UTC 20:30

alimac's picture
Start: 
2016-02-06 20:30 - 22:00 UTC
Event type: 
Online meeting (eg. IRC meeting)

[Meta] Mentor Meeting - Saturday, 6 February, 2016 at UTC 20:30 in Google Hangout.

To find the meeting ping YesCT or another mentor in #drupal-mentoring channel in IRC. See https://www.drupal.org/core-mentoring for the calendar.

Mentor Meta meetings are once a month, usually on the first Saturday of the month, at UTC 20:30. These are mentor meetings about mentoring (hence the "meta"), about upcoming events and ongoing Drupal core mentoring efforts.

Do you want to get involved doing mentoring but not sure what to do? Want to help Drupal mentoring be successful? Join us. All help is welcome:

  • people who can help organize us
  • developers to help us with Drupal.org issues that will effect contributor or mentor experience
  • planners to help with events
  • people with different skills who are interested

Share what mentoring successes and challenges you have had.

Comments

6 February 2016 Meeting Minutes

cilefen's picture

Attendees

  • Chris (cilefen)
  • Vijay (vijaycs85)
  • Valery (valthebald)
  • Brian Gilbert (realityloop)
  • Alina (alimac)
  • Lucas (heddn)
  • Seth Silesky (silesky)
  • Matthew (mradcliffe)
  • xjm

Meta

  • @todo Chris to copy/move this doc to a non-org and make a shared folder. DONE - moved to the mentoring Google account and shared to team leads.

DrupalCon Asia

  • 18-21 February, Sprint day is Sunday, 21 February
  • Brief update from xjm
  • DrupalCon Asia Sprint Planning doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mGa0MggCfFL7rwTH42zgOCQq2oGX6sn5XZ6l...
  • alimac and xjm met with leads … excitement among leads but seem overwhelmed … suggesting normal novice sprint, first half of major triage (relevance), and organizing work on coder rules / better coding standard issue scope with people who may have already been involved on those issues

DrupalCon New Orleans

  • Dates are 9 May - 13 May
  • Update from Cathy about looking for a new Sprint and Mentoring Lead https://www.drupal.org/core-mentoring/mentored-sprint-leads
  • planning lead: alimac
  • communication lead: silesky from NOLA
  • Mentor communications summary: https://www.drupal.org/node/2479605
  • Mentor dinner: https://www.drupal.org/node/2479635
  • first-time sprinter workshop lead: Deciphered is willing to (edit by realityloop).
  • VM issue: https://www.drupal.org/node/2232049
    http://agaric.com/blogs/disposable-drupal-installations-drush
  • run sprint room on day lead: global: yesct, local: heddn
  • booth lead: global: ?, local: joel (or silesky)
  • (do the mentor orientation): heddn, cilefen
  • novice issue triage lead: ?
  • Mentors coming to New Orleans:
    • Yes
    • xjm (but can't actually mentor....)
    • heddn
    • Deciphered
    • alimac
    • yesct
    • joel
    • davidhernandez
    • valthebald
    • Maybe
    • cilefen (very likely)
    • No
    • realityloop
  • From Barcelona: were there plans to update the mentoring form to give more information about what mentors should expect, etc? DONE - form links to the docs
  • #drupalcon-nola-sprint on Slack
  • need to send invite to Seth, val (maybe ask in channel) @todo Chris DONE
  • @realityloop/@Deciphered would like to trial https://github.com/drupalmel/beetbox at the event with a handful of people to get data about the issue that may arise, including trial before the event using different OS-es.
  • @heddn brought up the notion of using the PHP built-in server and sqlite, will update the group later.
  • @todo is it possible to have a webserver on the conference venue network for distributing the workshop tools? (realityloop happy to follow this up if told who to contact at the DA. Can it be a regular laptop?) Mac Ethernet adapters needed, etc.
  • Distributing tools:
    • Have usb drives at booth with tools, and whenever someone approaches about sprinting, say, "here copy onto your desktop" with an elevator pitch of what it is
    • Direct people to link to download tools from a webserver
    • during coffee breaks
    • Announce on social media
    • Have DA announce it in pre-keynote muckety muck (or have them have us do so)
    • Signs throughout the conference saying "Want to sprint Friday? If you don't have your dev environment set up, download this!"

Global sprint weekend retrospective

  • People more and more focused on contrib because core is perceived to be in better shape than contrib

Documentation check-in

  • need a summary of points from Mentoring at events (append to the bottom of the doc)
  • xjm -- concern from jhodgdon about our recommendation to not use the assigned field in https://www.drupal.org/node/1319140 (compare https://www.drupal.org/node/2172049) @todo xjm post policy issue, share with contributors) -- the problem of "low-hanging contribution" and how to address contributions that are not helpful
  • @todo xjm -- DONE - suggestion start to document incidents that happen in the issue queue. What’s the best format for that? Private googledoc? We don’t want to call anyone out, just help them contribute effectively, new scope doc is really helping https://www.drupal.org/core/scope
  • @todo val (still relevant) - d.o. create or update a page with quality programming resources. (Drupal 8 developing guide, api.d.o D8 front page, phptherightway, php.net, etc). Add an IRC factoid (programming?)

IRC check-in

  • 1-2 people every week
  • Not a lot of returning contributors lately
  • Can we share some of the structure used for the contrib mentoring hours to give people the choice? Always a concern with specific maintainers, though.
  • Core maintainers, at least, are a known quantity. @todo heddn|realityloop: talk to larowlan, tim.plunkett about how those are
  • Migrate is spread out work over both core and contrib
  • It would also be good to see if there is something we can do to reinvigorate interest in working on core

Novice issue triage

Nothing to report.

Contrib mentoring

  • underway in three time zones

Drupal.org mentoring

Nothing to report.

Next meeting: Saturday, 5 March, 2015 20:30 UTC

Mentoring

Group organizers

Group notifications

This group offers an RSS feed. Or subscribe to these personalized, sitewide feeds:

Hot content this week