This wiki is an attempt to explore the various options we have to build an album page with the ability to play individual tracks as well as the complete album/playlist. Ideally we'll get input/advice from some of those who have built and/or implemented this type of solution.
Drupal site examples
Drupal driven sites with album/tracklist players.
- Daughtry - http://www.daughtryofficial.com/music/album/daughtry
- The Four of Us - http://www.the4ofus.com/classified_personal
- Sony MyPlay - http://myplay.com/music/foo-fighters/echoes-silence-patience-and-grace
- Resynthesize - http://www.resynthesize.com/albums/heart-and-soul-direct
For inspiration and ideas,
- Jackson Browne - http://www.jacksonbrowne.com/discography/albums/5250.aspx
- LAST.FM - http://www.last.fm
- Muxtape - http://muxtape.com
- Peter Gabriel - http://www.petergabriel.com/discography/release/Birdy/188/
- play.com - http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download-Album/4-/5379713/The-Age-Of-The-U...
- Preview all on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/R-E-M-Live/dp/B00122FW4E/ref=dm_ap_alb4
- Allows you to "preview/listen all"
- Allows the user to click to play another song and automatically stops playing the previous song, if another one is clicked.
- When a song finishes playing it automatically moves to the next song.
- Volume, pause and play control
- Option to 'pop-up' player
- Audio module - http://drupal.org/project/audio
- allows users with proper permissions to upload audio files into drupal.
- Each audio item is created as its own individual audio node.
- uses the getID3 library to read and write ID3 meta-tag information to and from the audio file.
- Media Field - http://drupal.org/project/mediafield
- CCK fields for storing audio
- Embedded Media Field (http://drupal.org/project/emfield)
- This extensible module will create fields for node content types that can be used to display video, image, and audio files from various third party providers.
- Sony BMG - http://drupal.org/node/241344#comment-795344
- Tracks are their own nodes with a node reference to the album and a cck field for the track url which is then served up through a custom player.
- The actual track is hosted on a third party server so we just reference the location within the node and let the player deal with serving up the actual track itself.
- Node creation of Albums and Tracks is automated through a custom module that uses the Amazon API to generate the nodes. You could use the Amazon services module for something like this.
- Embedded Media Field and XSPF playlist? - http://groups.drupal.org/node/8757#comment-32596
- Per athurf (http://groups.drupal.org/user/630) - XSPF Playlist is just building playlists off data that is defined from nodes. It shouldn't be hard for me to create an option to save an XSPF file in the db for retrieval- potentially, I see a mapper for FeedAPI that takes XSPF playlists and then saves them.
- XSPF Playlist - http://drupal.org/project/xspf_playlist
- generates a XSPF playlist from files that are attached to a node.
- It was designed for Jeroen Wijering's flash player, though it should work with other flash players.
- The admin interface allows the administrator to select what node types it works on, choose a default thumbnail file to use, and forthcoming support for CCK fields.
- It also supports multiple file types (audio, video, flash) that are supported by the flash player.
- Media Mover - http://drupal.org/project/media_mover
- a suite of modules which can convert content to FLV and then can be integrated with XSPF Playlist
Flash Media Players
- XSPF Web Music Player - http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/
- JW FLV MEDIA PLAYER - http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Player
- plays audio, video, and even images.
- Media Player Wizard - http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?page=wizard&example=22 -
- Media Player Demos - http://home5.inet.tele.dk/nyboe/flash/mediaplayer/
- FLV Media Player - http://drupal.org/project/flvmediaplayer
- This is a helper/configuration module to work with JW media player FLV flash player.
- Dash Player - http://drupal.org/project/dashplayer
- plays audio, video and images (see also http://www.tmtdigital.com/documentation)
Controlling the player
- The Four of Us (example by dublin drupaller here - http://groups.drupal.org/node/10869) - The audio player is controlled using a mix of mainly prototype and soundmanager2. It's a fairly heavy set of js at the moment but the plan is to trim it down and either create an add-on .inc for the audio.module (if there is enough interest) or integrate it into views, so it can be used for any drupal playlist.
- FLV MediaPlayer Demos - http://home5.inet.tele.dk/nyboe/flash/mediaplayer/index.htm - provides discussion of different scripting methods including cross frame scripting which may provide a good solution for controlling the popup player from the main window .