I'd like to run a one-day, mentored, video based training session, possibly as a part of next years Drupalcamp.
I think we'd need 5 or more mentors, ideally with diverse skills so we can help with a variety of questions. If you're willing to volunteer as a mentor, please leave a comment here.
If we get enough volunteers, we can look into how we could run this with the Drupalcamp or run it more independantly. Either way we would need to find somewhere to run it and work out a date near enough to the drupalcamp so that it doesn't interfere with the sessions, but could still be considered a part of the event. After that, buildamodule.com would take care of the actual training and we just answer any questions that come up.
The videos on buildamodule.com have been collected together to cover the following topics:
- Site Building
- Drupal Development and Module Building
- Drupal Theming
- Version Control and Code Workflow (in progress)
and there is videos for both Drupal 6 and Drupal 7 versions of these, so there is plenty to choose from.
The idea would be to have a theme for the session so that everyone is generally following one track, but there would be no reason that all tracks could be covered by the one event, depending on who wants to learn what.
The site offers solutions to the following issues:
- My organization is using Drupal and we need training
- I am a PHP developer and need to learn Drupal
- I am building a web site from scratch in Drupal and need help
- I am a Drupal 6 developer and need to upgrade to 7
- My boss needs me to learn Drupal, but there's no time
- I am a web designer and need to learn how to theme
So I think we could easily drum up interest from outside the drupal community, if we advertised it properly which would ultimately raise the profile of Drupal, the Drupalcamp and Drupal Scotland, hardly a bad thing.