Biblio is a Drupal module that allows users to manage and display lists of scholarly publications. It is currently used on approximately a 1000 installations (and raising). It's use in projects like The Science Collaboration Framework, however is bound to increase it's use even more.
Currently the module is still using custom nodes with it's own database tables instead of CCK nodes/fields. Because of this it has to implement and maintain it's own widgets, integration with CCK reduce redundancy in the Drupal contrib codebase. Lately several features from Biblio have been reimplemented in the CCK framework. Also several glue-modules emerged that seek to incorporate functionality that already works for CCK
The advantage of porting the fields to CCK:
- Smaller codebase for Biblio
- Easier maintenance
- Leverage the integration of CCK with several contrib/core modules
- Prevention of duplication
- Easier porting to Drupal 7
The goal of my summer of code:
Port the Biblio fields to CCK and integrate them with Views. From that point it will be easy to port the whole project to CCK and get integration with views and other modules.
- Kristof Van Tomme - Local mentor, existing working relationship
- Ron Jerome - Maintainer of Biblio module, Co-mentor
Other people who indicated their interest in being part of the mentorship:
- Robert Douglass - Senior Drupal Advisor @ Acquia
- Benjamin Melançon - Project leader of the Science Collaboration Framework