I've just posted my roadmap of sorts for Harmony (a forum distro I'm working on) and figured I'd post here too :)
Copied from my post on Artisan forums issue queue...
Architecture wise starting out by looking at all the current solutions - both Drupal and outside of Drupal (Discoruse, vBulletin, phpBB, Invision) and have come out with a strong vision. Looking at Mud my method differs in key places.
It will comprise of the following, but not requiring anything other than core:
- Core (Thread & post entities, decent markdown editor, post quoting, listing views, permission based access)
- Access control (offering of basic limiting access to a forum (taxonomy term) and implementing basically hook_node_grants but for the thread entity)
- Anti-spam measure (some decent defaults for preventing spam so honeypot)
- Comments bridge (measures to use Harmony as a commenting method, with this enabled say you create a news item you automatically get a thread created, and posts appear on both the news node)
- Messaging & subscriptipns (private messaging but also notifications, if someone @username mentions you in a post you get a notification, if someone quotes your post you get a notification etc)
- Migrate (migrate methods for coming from core forum, vbulletin, phpBB, invision)
- Moderation (enable to get "posts require approval" and the means to moderate)
- Social (Opengraph, sharing links)
- Basic bootstrap theme (yep, responsive!).
I look forwarding to building all of this up and with a potential high profile project coming up which could use it I'm putting a lot of effort into making this a contender to other software offers let alone Drupal forums.