January 15th will be Drupal’s 13th birthday. That’s right, Drupal is going to be a teenager! And like many teenagers, it has a lot of issues. So we’re asking community members to set aside some time on the 15th to tackle a Drupal 8 issue as a birthday gift.
Why should you participate?
If you are like most Drupal developers, you have been telling yourself for months that you should start contributing to Drupal 8. This sprint is your chance to get started, together with others. If you have already started to work on Drupal 8 core or contrib, join with other contributors, hang out in irc, and work on manageable tasks in the Drupal core queue. The goal is to help with Drupal 8, and there will be help to help you do that.
A laptop with a development environment set up in advance (with the latest Drupal 8 from git) will help you be efficient on the work party day.
The development environment Drupal.org document lists the tools you will want to set up in advance. If you have any questions as you work on setting up, please ask in irc in #drupal or #drupal-contribute or tweet @YesCT.
- Go to your calendar now and set aside some time on January 15th.
- Join the #drupal IRC channel. It's more fun working real time together!
Drupalize.me has nice video instructions on how to use IRC. Just join #drupal and say you are there working on issues as part of Drupal’s birthday.
- Pick an issue:
- If you have issues you want to work on already, great!
- If you do not have an issue in mind, you might like to:
- find someone in IRC who can match you up with an issue to work on.
- or pick from change notices that need you
- or pick from priority Drupal 8 core issues mentors have found that have small actionable tasks. Search for issues tagged DrupalWorkParty (Mentors will start tagging issues a few days before the event.)
- Important: Make a comment on the issue saying what you plan to do and assign the issue to yourself.
Edit the issue to assign it and make a comment like:
Please tweet to let people know you’re helping out! Use the #DrupalWorkParty hashtag. For fun, check out the twitter wall.
Thank you for your gift!
Other January activities:
- Dries is doing an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on reddit, also on January 15.
- Global Sprint Weekend January 25 and 26.
Other DrupalWorkParty posts
- Drupal Association Drupal is Turning 13 – Join the Party!
- blog: January 15th we are going to PARTY! (Uh, work. Well it is a #DrupalWorkParty!) It is the 13th anniversary of the release of Drupal.
- blog: #DrupalWorkParty Preliminary Stats and Thank-you's
- video: NYC birthday party video from Blink Reaction
- more... If you write up a post, please let @YesCT know to get added to this list.