I'm looking at putting together an initiative that will look into the user experience of administrating a Drupal site through a non-desktop PC.
- Redesigning the navigation of the admin interface on small and touch screens.
- Heavily modifying the 'Seven' Theme to become more responsive and mobile friendly
"Mobile User" Experience
The emphasis is not on the device, but on the context of the person using it. I would almost call it 'device agnostic'. What is important is that the user is not sitting at as desk facing a big screen. They could be on the bus, sitting in a cafe or walking back from work.
We should up with a list of objectives and a context which we analyse against. Not just which devices we test with but how we define a good user experience on a device, these could differ from a desktop experience or be defined differently.
- Touch Friendly
- Tab Friendly
Assignment of user paths to analyse, devices and context become important here, as we are limited by the diversity of the volunteers!
This would be where we outline any global or specific experience problems with Drupal's back end.
Potential user stories
What Verity Wants: to be able to complete her website updates quickly, without getting confused, and feeling confident that she’s knows where she is and what she’s doing at all times.
- Logging in
- Finding Content
- Editing Content
- Creating Content
What Jeremy Wants: the ability to build sites with rich functionality and flexibility without have to write code.
- Installation (Wouldn't that be great?)
- Content Type Creation
- User Administration
This is a hopeful rather then concrete list
- Symbian Platform
- BlackBerry OS
- Windows Mobile
- Mobile Opera
Some problems might be solvable within the 'Seven' theme, some might require a completely seperate 'Mobile Seven' theme and be better suited to a contrib project. There is only so far we can take core.
- The Transition
- Responsive Web Design
- It's about people not devices
- Mobile Web Design Moves.
- The Responsive Designer’s Workflow
- One Web
- Toffee-nosed - Clarification on Reponsive Web Design
- Context -> Clarification
- Presentation Notes: Web App Masters: Mobile & UX A Perfect Storm
- Device Classes & Responsive Design
- Mobile UX Essentials
- Touch Gesture Reference Guide
- Launching Basecamp Mobile
- jQuery Mobile Browser Support
- Nokia's Design and User Experience Library
- 320 and up
- HTML5 Mobile Boilerplate
- Mobile Matrices
- Modernizer Touch Screen Tests
- W3C Mobile Web Initiative
- Apps vs the web
- iOS Media Query Previewer