This page relates to the Skill sets described in the open curriculum project, and tries to describe one of the skill sets. See this page as a collaborative notebook, and feel free to edit and improve it.
Typical new themers may come from both a programming background or a design background. Someone with previous PHP skills can hop right in, but someone who is new to PHP might stumble and get lost a bit. This skill set outlines the essential PHP a themer would need to know.
If you're curious about other pre-requisites for a front end developer/themer, please see "Skills of a successful front-end web developer" http://drupal.org/node/1245650
PHP coding for theming
- Drupal coding standards http://drupal.org/coding-standards
- Doxygen and comment formatting conventions http://drupal.org/node/1354
- Familiar with the Drupal Mark-up style guide http://groups.drupal.org/node/6355
- What is PHP?
- Using variables
- The the features, control structures and syntax of PHP
- Opening and closing PHP, when to and when not to.
- Adding comments, single and multiline
- Escaping HTML in print statements.
- String operators, concatenation.
- Use of operators: assignment, comparison, logical, mathematical.
- Syntax of functions, passing parameters.
- For and while loops
- Conditional statements
- Alternative syntax of conditional statements and when to use them.
- Syntax of a structured array
- Insert into and get data from an array