After attending Drupalcon London and listening to Dries keynote I decided to look into one of the points of opportunity for Drupal - better marketing (Hi group). I've found the process a bit confusing and it's raised a number of issues that I think might be preventing people from getting involved.
I should add that I've been using Drupal for a number of years and haven't contributed as much back as I should or would have liked to*. It's a fantastic community and the 'product' is maturing into something amazing. The objectives for D8 are really exciting.
It's my belief that in order to progress the marketing of Drupal the community efforts need to be better coordinated. I'm in no position to (and in no way trying to) criticise the efforts of anybody when I say this. It's just my opinion based on my experience of investigating how, and where, to get involved.
These are the questions that I personally have, and maybe others new to the initiative might have:
- Who coordinates/leads the generic marketing of Drupal? (This group?)
- If we have suggestions on how drupal.org can be changed to improve usability/visibility of marketing, what's the process? e.g. Dries highlighted the wordpress.com showcase as an example of where drupal.org is missing a trick.
- Are there any priorities for the marketing of Drupal as there are for developing D8 core?
- Which are the audiences that the community should prioritise marketing for?
- How can it be made easier for people to contribute?
I hope this post will be taken in the spirit it's intended. *I'm aiming to commit some time from myself and my team.