Drupal Training by Zaferia: website-in-a-box
We’ll teach you the basics of how to quickly build a website using Drupal. We’ll cover the most important aspects of Drupal and some of the best contributed modules (for use as building blocks) in order to quickly build a website that is flexible & extensible.
After our training you’ll walk away with a fully functional website that includes many of the elements that are common on so many a enterprise websites, such as:
- Dynamic homepage with a customizable workflow for updates. The home page will include customizable & moveable sections that are built from both the static & dynamic content within your site plus externally using feeds or social websites such as Twitter.
- About us page
- Contact us page
- Product (or Services) section with optional images for each product/service.
- Ability to turn on/off a dynamic photo gallery based on product/service images
- Blog section(s) for employees/users
- Content Workflow to control how content gets published what content gets published and when content gets published
- News / Whats New section of the site based on recent content and customizable rules
- Role based access for employees/users
What you’ll learn
- Overview of some basic Drupal concepts
- How to utilize (and/or customize) Drupal distributions and installation profiles to jumpstart site creation
- Overview of Drupal tools-of-the-trade: DrupalPro (Virtualized Development Enviroment) GIT (Version Control) and Drush (Drupal Shell)
- Overview of how to use these tools in DrupalPro (which has them already pre-installed and ready to use)
- Some of the modules we’ll cover: Drupal core (menu, content types, taxonomy, permissions, roles, rss, etc). Contributed modules: Views, Rules, Display Suite, Views-slideshow, imagecache, Omega & Zen themes (for responsive web), and others
What you'll need
- RSVP on this post
- A laptop
- A working development environment you know … or preferably DrupalPro (beta2 or
- 9:00a - 10:00a: Introductions, Environment setup, Day Project plan
- 10-12: Site layouts & initial configurations & setup
- 12-12:30: Lunch (on your own)
- 12:30 - 2:00p: Final configurations and cleanup and “where to go from here”
- 2p - 5p: Mentored training / Code-sprint / Questions / Help from morning session
- 5-6:30p: Dinner (on your own)
- 6:30+: Pre-camp brews & fun at Steelhead
Zaferia Web Works is the new name of Media Done Right. We’ll be providing the training plus we’ve invited a few friends to help give-back to the community. We’re drupal geeks. Mike Stewart. Frank Anderson. Pat Goddard. Dan Carlson. Chris Charlton.
1pm -5pm We will have Build-A-Module mentored training. There is some overlap in schedule, but not really, since this is a self-paced, video based, structured curriculum by the Folks from Build A Module. However, the twist is we've also coordinated for many Drupal rock-stars that will be available to answer any questions. Some of the people helping are: Mike Stewart, Frank Anderson (frob), Greg Knaddison (greggles), Kevin Kalan (wizonesolutions), Chris Charlton, Ashok Modi (BTmash), Tom Friedhof, Mario Crivello (philosurfer), and Mike Land (landing).
We ask that you please bring headphones
The free training classes will be held in the Engineering Quad at UC Irvine. Parking is $10 in the Anteater Parking Structure located at E. Peltason Dr. and Anteater Dr., a three minute walk from the Engineering quad. Parking permits must be displayed on your dashboard. General parking is plentiful on the upper levels (3-5) of the parking structure.
View Pre-camp Training Directions in a larger map
Park in any unmarked space, and walk toward the elevator at the southwest corner of the lot (at the end of the leftmost aisle as you first drive in). Go downstairs to level 2 and walk out onto the adjacent building plaza to your left, then out to the sidewalk along the main road (Peltason Dr.). Go right, cross the Engineering Service Rd. and continue along the sidewalk past the Henry Samueli School of Engineering monument sign. Go right at the crosswalk and down the large stairs to the Engineering quad.
Yes, it will be awesome. and fun. Come for the morning build a site. Or the afternoon mentored training. Or Both. But please RSVP!
Finally, please pardon the fact we posted so "last minute" but we wanted to make sure paid training got the attention it deserves.