We want to build audience specific landing pages on drupal.org. The first one is for site builders. These people are having a hard time getting started, finding the right modules, learning how to use them etc.
To find out what content is needed to provide a sensible starting point for site builders, we need to find out what site builder needs are. So lets research those goals and needs first.
Rough timebox: september 2013
- Pragmatic persona: simple profiles of beginner, intermediate & advanced site builder
- Main scenarios for each: what do they want to get done?
- Content requirements: what content is needed to support those scenarios?
- We could do a card sort to find out if "beginner/intermediate/advanced" is a useful distinction and learn which topics would have to be in each.
- Review existing persona work
- Review site builder topics in skillcompass.org
- Run a card sort on these?
- Review other CMS sites and other technology sites how they approach audience-specific starting pages
- See if we can do some site builder interviews
Resources & prior art
Audience: What is a site builder? What are their tasks, activities, goals?
- Go through skillcompass site and collect the site builder labels in a spreadsheet as input for card sort
- Compare with chapter 2 structure of the Using Drupal book: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920010890.do and other Drupal site builder books
- Summarize key characteristics, goals, tasks, priorities in 2-4 light-weight sitebuilder persona
- Decide what/how to research further (run an intercept questionnair on d.o. for example?
Best way to learn is to talk to a couple of site builders. But time consuming: recruiting, interviews, analysis. Is there existing material out there? Please add any useful links here.
Lets find out what the others are doing!
** Other technologies**
@todo: Analyse for content and page structure:
- what is on these pages
- how are they structured
- what kind of media is used
- how dense is the info, what is linked to?
Goal: find meaningful categories/sections to structure the content on the landing page(s)
Tool: optimal workshop tools to perform online card sort
& lots more we could do but with some good-enough personas, main scenarios and a first grasp on what content is needed we should be in a good position to start creating/editing landing page content & work on designs for how to structure them.
If you want to help out, shout out in the comments or contact @yoroy