There is a discussion at http://groups.drupal.org/node/19171 regarding revamping the administrative menu. It seems to me that the issue of the improving the menu INTERFACE is different than the issue of STRUCTURE. Here, I'd like to see if we can gather the discussion of practical alternative menu interfaces for core. As I mentioned in the aforementioned thread, please let me know if I'm duplicating efforts here.
Drupal has two menu interfaces by default: 1) the navigation block and 2) top-level admin pages (i.e. admin/build). Many users don't consider this sufficient for usability, for example Acquia Drupal ships with Admin menu to make navigating the menu quicker and easier. Ultimately, it seems that there needs to be an additional, more usable menu interface that ships with core which improves the speed of navigation and administration.
I think there are three questions that need to be answered before any real progress can be made on this front:
1. Does Drupal need an alternative menu interface in core, or is this a problem that should just be solved with contributed modules?
I think the general consensus is that we need something better in core that what's there now, but I want to make sure I'm reading the community right on that.
2. Should Drupal provide a ubiquitous space for administrative / navigation tools which won't interfere with the layout, much like the space claimed by the Admin Menu or Navigate modules?
This seems like an important decision to make. Right now administrative / navigation tools either have to work in the content - a block, for example - or do some trickery to set it outside of the theme. If Drupal offered a supported space (or spaces) for ubiquitous admin tools, then it would be much easier for core and contrib to be consistent with these tools.
3. What features are essential for a highly usable menu interface, and which are priority?
This would be a base set of features that should be included in the core menu interface. Please give feedback on any of these items (I will try to consolidate this list as discussion proceeds):
- Menu search - Ideally auto-complete style
- User-based menu bookmarks - Allow users to have their own set of bookmarks or favorites
- Collapsing menus with saved state - When using collapsible menus, state should be saved from one page to another