There seems to be some interest and use case for Drupal-based digital signage. bneil, AndrewGearhart, and btopro had a good conversation in #drupal-edu about some ideas and thought we needed to start collecting our ideas.
Let's use this wiki as a place to start organizing ourselves around what our requirements are and what general functionality we can share between our institutions.
Hopefully we'll end up with a nice list of requirements that we can work together to build a solid base for Drupal digital signage.
- We need a way to group signs together so an editor can manage multiple signs (Multisite + Organic Groups?)
- Intuitive sign building interface. Currently, I'm thinking we go the direction of a sign being a panelized node and use the Panels IPE to manage all layout switching and pane placement.
- Standardized way to query and display data from other sources. News, events, etc. There will also be the use case to import nodes via feeds and flag them to be shown for those editors who want fine-grained control over their signs.
- A generic sign "override" module, that would ping an RSS feed and if there's data in the feed, overlay over the sign and display the data in the feed. (PSU and UIowa both have this requirement).
- Refresh all data periodically.
- Weather (Separate module, Forecast.io?)
As a requirement, it would be necessary to be able to specify the icons used for the forecast
- Slideshow reference pane
- Sign Title
- Stock Ticker (business schools)
- A very, very minimal base theme that makes no assumptions.
- A standard neutral signage theme (based on the base theme) that is useful out of the box.
Nice to have
- Layout switching based on time slot/date
- Check to see if browser has connection before implementing any ajax/refresh of data.
- method for doing wayfinding applications
- QR code integration
the idea being that someone can scan the qr code to find out more about a headline. as an alternative, short code integration (displays short code for URLs provided in feeds / content
UIowa Specific Requirements
- Panes for bus prediction information
- UIowa Branding elements
- Master Calendar events - SOAP API :(
- News data source: http://now.uiowa.edu
PSU Specific Requirements
- Emergency channel sign overlay
- PSU Branding elements